Atelier 17 Group Exhibitions: A Chronology
© Christina Weyl, 2018. Do not reproduce without the author’s permission.
Existing lists of Atelier 17’s group shows are incomplete. The following chronology establishes the fullest record known at the time of publication. There are likely more exhibitions to add to this list, especially in the years after 1960.
Only group shows, where multiple members of the studio exhibited, have been included. Records of Stanley William Hayter’s solo shows can be found in Peter Black and Désirée Moorhead’s The Prints of Stanley William Hayter: A Complete Catalogue (1992), pp. 392-394.
Initially, Atelier 17’s group shows were numbered from its years in Paris. Sequential counting ceased after the 14th exhibition at the Laurel Gallery (1949). The numbering is inconsistent and inconsistently applied. For example, the show at the Willard Gallery (1945) is called the 10th, but it opened slightly after another group show a The Cliff Dwellers (1945), which should properly be counted as the 10th.
Opening and closing dates have been given, where available.
* denotes exhibitions without known catalogues
# denotes exhibitions that appear in the Black/Moorhead chronology, but have not been independently confirmed with catalogues or other archival sources
Exhibition of Engravings and Etchings by Anthony Gross, S. W. Hayter, Joseph Hecht, Max Ernst, S. Brignoni, D. Husband, A. Szenes, J. Trevelyan, L. Vargas
Leicester Galleries, London, England, February 1934
[Unknown title] * 1Stanley William Hayter to Julian Trevelyan, March 7, April 23, and May 26, , JOT 16_19, 16_11, 16_12, Papers of Julian Otto Trevelyan, Trinity College Library Cambridge [henceforth cited as PJOT]
Galerie Pierre, Paris, France, ca. May 1935
L’Atelier 17 *2 “L’Atelier 17,” Beaux-Arts: Chronique des arts et de la curiosité, April 2, 1937, 6. Thank you to Michele Greet for this citation.
Galerie aux Quatre Chemins, Paris, France, March 10-25, 1936
Le groupe de l’Atelier 17 de Paris
Kunstzaal De Gulden Roos, Maastricht, The Netherlands, May 17 to June 7, 1936
Výstava skupiny pařížských grafiků “Atelier 17”3Thank you to Katarina Kyselica, Principal at KADS New York, who retrieved this catalogue from the library of the Prague National Gallery. The hosting venue, SVU Manes, was founded in 1887 as an artists association and is still active today.
Spolek Výtvarných Umělců Mánes, Prague, Czechoslovakia, ca. January-February 1937
Atelier 17: Exposition de gravures et objects gravés (1936-37) *4An invitation for this show can be found in Helen Phillips papers, Paris.
Galerie aux Quatre Chemins, Paris, France, March 12-31 1937
VIIe Exposition de Gravures et Platres Gravés du Groupe de l’Atelier 17
Galerie de Beaune, Paris, France, April 21-May 5, 1939
Eighth Exhibition, Studio 17: Engravings, Etchings, Plaster Prints
Guggenheim Jeune, London, England, June 8-23, 1939
New Directions in Gravure: Hayter and Studio 17
Museum of Modern Art, New York, New York, June 28 – October 8, 1944.5The show’s run was extended from its original stated end date of September 17
The show traveled via the Museum of Modern Art’s Department of Circulating Exhibitions to the following venues:6“New Directions in Gravure – Hayter Studio 17,” CE 18.104.22.168.1, Department of Circulating Exhibitions Records, The Museum of Modern Art Archives.
- Cincinnati Modern Art Society, Cincinnati, Ohio, December 2-16, 1944
- Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore, Maryland, January 4-25, 1945
- St. Paul Gallery and School of Art, Minneapolis, Minnesota, February 4-25, 19457The St. Paul Gallery and School of Art became the Minnesota Museum of American Art in 1992. The institution closed in 2009.
- Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit, Michigan, March 11-April 1, 1945
- San Francisco Museum of Art, San Francisco, California, May 29-June 26, 19458The San Francisco Museum of Art is now the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art.
- Fort Worth Art Association, Forth Worth, Texas, September 1-25, 1945
- Museum of the Cranbrook Academy of Art, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan November 4-25, 1945
- Henry Gallery, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington: January 14-February 4, 1946
- School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Boston, Massachusetts, February 18-March 11, 1946
- Willard Straight Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, March 25-April 15, 1946
- Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, New York, May 18-June 8, 1946
Another version of New Directions in Gravure circulated to South America via the Inter-American Office. A full itinerary has not yet been located. Venues included:
- Instituto Chileno-Norteamericano de Cultura, Santiago de Chile, Chile, April 23-May 7 (approximate), 1947 9Thank you to Álvaro Cárdenas Castro for sharing his research and press clippings about this show.
- Viau Gallery, Buenos Aires, Argentina, August 28-September 13, 1947 10Thank you to Álvaro Cárdenas Castro for sharing his research and press clippings about this show.
Tenth Exhibition: Prints by 35 Members of Atelier 17 Group
Willard Gallery, New York, New York, May 15-June 2, 1945
[Unknown title] *12This exhibition featured work by 13 studio members. For press coverage, see Arthur Millier, “Many Important Exhibits Opened Here This Week,” The Los Angeles Times, February 10, 1946, 54; Arthur Millier, “‘Fantastic’ Art Launched in Three-Point Exhibitions,” The Los Angeles Times, February 17, 1946, 44. The American Contemporary Gallery, opened in 1943 by Barbara Byrnes and Clara Grossman, was a small exhibition venue located on Hollywood Boulevard that mostly showed art and experimental films by European avant-gardes. For more, see Rani Signh, Pacific Standard Time: Los Angeles Art, 1945-1980, ed. Rebecca Peabody et al. (Los Angeles: Getty Research Institute and the J. Paul Getty Museum, 2011), 7.
American Contemporary Gallery, Los Angeles, California, [ca. February 10]-March 5, 1946
Atelier 17: New Etchings and Engravings by Members of the Group
The Leicester Galleries, London, England, March 1-31, 1947
Fourteenth Exhibition of Prints by Members of the Atelier 17 Group
Laurel Gallery, New York, New York, March 14-April 1, 1949
Atelier 17 *
Chouinard Art Institute, Los Angeles, California, July 10-August 12, 1949
Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, February 10-March 5, 1950
Stanley Hayter, Atelier 17 Group, [unknown venue] 13Exhibition pamphlet, Tate Archives, Papers of Stanley William Hayter [henceforth cited as Tate], 200510/3/205/1. There is no year written on this pamphlet, but the dating of the prints included suggests 1949.
October 1-24, 
- Grace Borgenicht Gallery, New York, New York, September 24-October 14, 1951
- Michigan State College, East Lansing, Michigan, January 195214Michigan State College is now Michigan State University. The exact dates of this show are not known. Press coverage appeared in “Art Students Visit Display,” Michigan State News, January 23, 1952, 3.
- Walker Art Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, February 5-24, 1952
- Baltimore Museum of Art, Baltimore, Maryland, March 10-April 8, 1952
St. W. Hayter: Grafisch Werk, Boekillustraties / Atelier 17
Stedelijk Kunstsalon Antwerp, The Netherlands, May 24-June 11, 1952
Atelier 17 * 15An invitation to the exhibition is located in The Grippe Collection, Allentown Art Museum [henceforth cited as GC/AAM].
Peretz Johnnes Bookshop & Gallery, New York, New York, July 1-31, 1952
Printmakers from Atelier 17 * 16An exhibition pamphlet, without a checklist, is located in GC/AAM. The Highfield Gallery, located in the theater space at Highfield Hall, was a short-lived venture and active only in the early 1950s. The artist Esteban Vicente was its director and coordinated several loan shows from the Peridot Gallery in New York. Thank you to Meg Costello at the Museums on the Green/Falmouth Historical Society for alerting me to many articles about the gallery in the local newspaper, Falmouth Enterprise.
Highfield Gallery, Falmouth, Massachusetts, July 28-August 11, 1952
Recent Prints from Atelier 17 * 17A postcard invitation to the show is located in GC/AAM. Milwaukee-Downer College merged with Lawrence College in 1964.
Chapman Memorial Library Gallery, Milwaukee-Downer College, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, October 10-November 3, 1952
Quelques Graveurs Contemporains autour de l’Atelier 17
- Kunsthandel Martinet, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, November 26-December 23, 195318Exhibition poster, Tate, 200510/3/23/1.
- Palais des Beaux-Arts, Brussels, Belgium, January 9-20, 1954
- Nordisk Kunsthandel, Copenhagen, Denmark, opened May 20, 195419Exhibition pamphlet, Tate, 200510/3/203/1.
- Galleria Numero Redazione, Florence, Italy, December 16, 1954-January 5, 1955
- This show’s checklist changed over the various venues. A version of it also went to venues in Rome and Rotterdam, but no additional information is known at this time.
Engravings from the Collection of Atelier 17, Selected by Lotte Jacobi *20An exhibition announcement, Series XIII: Oversized Material, Oversize Box 3, Lotte Jacobi Papers, University of New Hampshire Library.
Lotte Jacobi Gallery, New York, New York, November 30-December 21, 1954
Kunstnere tilknyttet Atelier 17
- Nasjonalgalleriet, Oslo, Norway, December 9-31, 1955
- Bergens Billedgalleri, Bergen, Norway, January-February, 195621The Bergens Billedgalleri is now part of KODE Art Museums of Bergen. Dating for this show is based on correspondence with Knut Ormhaug, Head of Collections, KODE Art Museums of Bergen.
- Kunsthall Stavanger, Stavanger Norway, March 1956
Atelier 17 22This exhibition was organized by the Sturegalleriet, Stockholm. It is possible, but not confirmed, that it was part of the traveling exhibition started in 1953 at the Kunsthandel Martinet. Exhibition pamphlet, Tate, 200510/3/22/1.
Galerie Colibri, Malmö, Sweden, March 22-April 1, 1956
Hayter and Atelier 17 #
Tokyo, Metropolitan Art Museum, Tokyo, Japan
Atelier 17: Intaglio Prints by S. W. Hayter and his Associates 23Exhibition pamphlet, Tate, 200510/3/28/1.
Associated American Artists, New York New York, October 10-29, 1960
Hayter and Atelier 17
Associated American Artists, New York, New York, January 29-February 17, 1962
Original grafik fra Atelier 17, Paris
Erling Haghfelt Gallery, Copenhagen, Denmark, May 22-June 8, 1962
Hayter and Atelier 17, 1927-1962
Institute of Contemporary Arts, London, England, June 15-July 14, 1962
Grafikk fra Atelier 17, Paris
Nasjonalgalleriet, Oslo, Norway, September 6-30, 1962
Atelier 17 24Exhibition preview invitation, Tate, 200510/3/188/1.
Associated American Artists, New York, New York, December 5-22, 1962
Gravures de l’Atelier 17 25Exhibition pamphlet, Tate, 200510/3/33/1.
Galerie Maitre-Albert, Paris, France, Opened February 27, 1963
Atelier 17, Paris: Taidegrafiikkaa
Taidesalonki Strindberg Oy, Helsinki, Finland, April 6-20, 1963
S. W. Hayter e l’Atelier 17
Galleria de’ Foscherari, Arte Contemporanea, Bologna, Italy, May 25-June 13, 1963
Nihonbashi Gallery, Tokyo, Japan #
Artists from Atelier 17
Editions Alecto, The Print Centre, London, England, April 14-May 23, 1964
Atelier 17 sous la Présidence de S. W. Hayter 26Exhibition pamphlet, Tate, 2005010/3/43/1.
Galerie Six Sicot, Lille, France, February 26-March 26, 1966
S. W. Hayter and Contemporaries of Atelier 17, Paris
Original Prints Gallery, San Francisco, California, November 25-December 25, 1966
S. W. Hayter et l’Atelier 17
Palais des Beaux-Arts, Charleroi, Belgium, February 18-March 12, 1967
Cinque artisti dell’atelier 17
Calcografia Nazionale, Rome, September–October 1968
Atelier 17, Paris
Galerie 14, Aarhus, Denmark, August 23-September 4,  27No year is given on the exhibition pamphlet (Tate, 200510/3/192/1). 1968 is an estimate based on matching possible calendar years to the weekdays given on the pamphlet, the roster of exhibitors, and the dates of their prints.
Atelier 17 & S. W. Hayter 28Exhibition pamphlet, Tate, 2005/10/3/54/1.
Antalya Güzel Sanatlar Galerisinde, Antalya, Turkey, September 25-October 10, 1968
Exposition Atelier “17” S .W. Hayter
Cyrk Galleries, Providence, Rhode Island, February 15-March 15, 29Exhibition poster, Tate, 200510/3/204/1. Year of exhibition is based on Black/Moorhead chronology.
- The Museum of Modern Art, Haifa, Israel, December 1969
- Memorial and Museum “Yad Lebanim,” Petah-Tiqva, Israel, January-February 1970
- The Negev Museum, Beer-Sheva, Israel, March 1970
Sala de Santa Catalina del Ateneo, Madrid, Spain, December 1969
Azuma Gallery, Osaka, Japan #
National Gallery, Istanbul, Turkey #
Expone el Maestro Stanley W. Hayter y Artistas Que Frecuentan su Atelier 17 en Paris 30Exhibition pamphlet, Tate, 200510/3/72/1.
Museo de Grabado, Buenos Aires, Argentina, July 1-August 29, 1970
Royal Albert Memorial Museum, Exeter, England #
Carr House Gallery, Providence Rhode Island #
S. W. Hayter’s Atelier 17
Galerie Daberkow, Frankfurt, Germany, September 1-30, 1971
Free Library, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania #
Syningarsal Norraena Hussins, Reykjavik, Iceland #
Atelier 17 Prints
Newcastle City Art Gallery, Newcastle, Australia, May 16-June 11, 1973 31Exhibition pamphlet, Tate, 200501/3/83/1.
The Western Australian Art Gallery, October 19-November 19, 1973 32Exhibition pamphlet, Tate, 200510/3/84/1.
Exposition Atelier “17” S. W. Hayter 33Exhibition pamphlet, Tate, 200510/3/92/1.
Galerie du Centre, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo, November 29-December 24, 1976
Atelier 17: A 50th Anniversary Retrospective Exhibition
- Elvehjem Art Center, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, October 9-December 4, 1977
- University of Iowa Museum of Art, Iowa City, Iowa, December 16, 1977-February 26, 1978
- The Brooklyn Museum, New York, New York, March 18-May 14, 1978
- University of Michigan Museum of Art, Ann Arbor, Michigan, June 4-July 30, 1978
- Krannert Art Museum, University of Illinois, Champaign, August 20-October 1, 1978
Atelier 17 34Exhibition pamphlet, Tate, 200510/3/99/1.
- College of San Mateo Gallery, San Mateo, California, January 17-February 17, 1977
- Corridor Gallery, Redwood City, California, February 14-March 26, 1977
- Foster City Museum Gallery, Foster City, California, April 1-April 30, 1977
Hayter and the Atelier 17: Works from the Dickson/Sweetman Collection
Agnes Etherington Art Centre, Kingston, Ontario, Canada, November 4-December 3, 1978
Obra gráfica contemporánea: Atelier 17
Museo Biblioteca Pape, Monclova, Coahuila, Mexico, February 25-May 27, 1978
Atelier 17 35Exhibition pamphlet, Tate, 200510/3/187/1.
Visual Arts Gallery, Department of Art, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia, October 9-27, 1978
Innovations in Intaglio: S. W. Hayter and the Atelier 17
Exhibition organized by the Baltimore Museum of Art, traveling to the following venues:
- The Park School, Brooklandville, Maryland, September 9–October 7, 1980
- Washington College, Chestertown, Maryland, October 8–November 5, 1980
- The Museum in the Mall, Columbia, Maryland, November 10–December 8, 1980
- Western Maryland College, Westminster, Maryland, December 9, 1980–January 6, 1981
- Saint John’s College, Annapolis, Maryland, January 7–February 4, 1981
- Community College of Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland, February 9–March 9, 1981
- Arundel Center, Annapolis, Maryland, March 10–April 7, 1981
- Landon School, Bethesda, Maryland, April 8–May 6, 1981
- Caroline County Public Library, Denton, Maryland, May 11–June 8, 1981
Atelier 17, Paris 36Exhibition pamphlet, Tate, 200510/3/114/1.
Galerie Götz, Stuttgart, Germany, March 6-May 9, 1981
Atelier 17: New Directions 37Exhibition catalogue, Tate, 200510/3/115/1.
- Cedar Rapids Art Association, Cedar Rapids, Iowa, October 18, 1981-January 24, 198238The Cedar Rapids Art Association, this show’s organizing institution, became the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art in 1989. Thank you to Katherine Kunau, Associate Curator of Collections and Exhibitions at CRMA, for her help documenting the show.
- Charles H. MacNider Museum, Mason City, Iowa, October 24-November 15, 1981
- Muscatine Art Center, Muscatine, Iowa, April 12-May 23, 1982
- Polk County Heritage Gallery, Des Moines, Iowa, June 5-July 4, 1982
- Oklahoma Museum of Art, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, July 25-August 22, 1982
- Arkansas Art Center, Little Rock, Arkansas, September 11-October 10, 1982
- Brunnier Gallery of Iowa State University at Ames, October 30-November 28, 1982
- Art Center Inc., South Bend, Indiana, December 18-January 16, 1983
- Art Gallery, SUNY, New Paltz, New York, February 5-March 6, 1983
- Albright Art Museum, St. Joseph Missouri, March 26-April 24, 1983
- College of St. Thomas, St. Paul, Minnesota, May 14-June 12, 1983
- Art Gallery, SUNY, Albany, New York, July 2-July 31, 1983
- Tennessee Botanical Garden and Fine Arts Center, Nashville, Tennessee, August 20-September 18, 1983
Atelier 17: 1927 Paris New-York 1950
Galerie de Seine, Paris, France, October 22-November 28, 1981
Hayter et l’Atelier 17: quinze ans d’activités
Musée des Beaux-Arts de Caen, Caen, France, October 23-December 31, 1981
Atelier 17, Paris 39Exhibition pamphlet, Tate, 200510/3/122/1.
Århus Kunstbygning, Aarhus, Denmark, August 18-28, 1983
Il Luogo, Rome, Italy #
Pratt Manhattan Center Gallery, New York, New York #
Maison de la Gravure au Marais, Paris, France #
Mary Ryan Gallery, New York, New York, October 25-November 22, 1986
The Printmakers of Atelier 17
Austin/Desmond Contemporary Books, London, England
Hayter e l’Atelier 17
Accademia nazionale di San Luca, Rome, Italy, May 11-July 1, 1990
Some Atelier 17 Connections: Twentieth Century Master Prints (Paris, New York, London)
Bankside Gallery, London, England, August 13-September 6, 1992
Espacio color textura: estampas de las colecciones Atelier 17, Paris
Museo de Arte de Maracay, Venezuela, August-September, 1992
Hayter et l’Atelier 17
Musée du dessin et de l’estampe, Gravelines, France
A Poética do Traço: Gravuras do Atelier 17, 1927-1940
Fundação Arpad Szenes-Vieira da Silva, Lisbon, Portugal, January 13-April 9, 2006
The Other Side of the Mirror: Prints from S. W. Hayter’s Atelier 17
Indianapolis Museum of Art, Indianapolis, Indiana, December 3, 2006-May 13, 2007
Atelier 17: New York
Susan Teller Gallery, New York, New York, October 24-November 29, 2008
Innovation and Abstraction: Women Artists and Atelier 17
Pollock Krasner House & Study Center, East Hampton, New York, August 4-October 29, 2016
Jane Voorhees Zimmerli Art Museum, New Brunswick, New Jersey, January 17-May 31, 2017
About Prints: The Legacy of Stanley William Hayter and Atelier 17
Syracuse University Art Galleries, Syracuse, New York, August 18–November 20, 2016
Workshop and Legacy: Stanley William Hayter, Krishna Reddy, Zarina Hashmi
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, October 6, 2016-March 26, 201
Cutting Edge: Modern Prints from Atelier 17
Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland, Ohio, April 9-August 13, 2017
Midwest Masters: From the Atelier 17 to America’s Heartland
Wright Museum of Art, Beloit College, Beloit, Wisconsin, August 27-December 14, 2018
Atelier 17, S. W. Hayter 40Exhibition pamphlet, Tate, 200510/3/85/1.
Resim ve Heykel Müzesi, Ankara, Turkey, October 21-31, [no year]